Thursday, April 12, 2007

He's HERE!!! Part 1


This story is long so I think I'll break it down into two parts!

Went to the doc on Thursday morning for my regular appt. When the doc measured me, he said I was measuring small--that it could be either that the baby had dropped some more or low amniotic fluid--I was 4 cm dialated. So he ordered an ultrasound to check. Well, the ultrasound not only revealed low amniotic fluid, but also a small baby--meaning he wasn't getting the nourishment he needed from the placenta. I couldn't believe the u/s tech when she told me he would only be around 5 lbs! So, I saw the doc again after the u/s and he said he thought it would be best for me to go ahead and go to the hospital to be induced--after all, my cervix was favorable. I had joked about them just sending me to the hospital this day--couldn't believe they really were!

So I arrive at the hospital at 11 am--at 11:44, the doc on call broke my water. I wanted to avoid pitocin if I could so I requested we try that first--that was the doc's idea too. I immediately started having contractions--the first one was a doozy and lasted 2 minutes! Then I'd have a bunch of little ones and then another big one. Didn't know how long I'd be able to handle it without pain meds! This labor definitely was different than the painless one I had with Nevan! The nurse noticed that his heartrate would drop during those strong contractions so she was in the room watching the monitor to make sure he recovered in a reasonable amount of time. Then it happened--I had a bad one and he wasn't recovering--3 or 4 other nurses come running in along with the doctor--they were rolling me from side to side and pushing really hard on my stomach to try to find his heart beat. They put an oxygen mask on me. The pushing on my stomach during a contraction was unbearable! After what seemed like an eternity, they found his heartrate and it was back in a normal range. I was whimping out because I was scared and was getting ready to ask for some pain meds when the doc asked me if I was feeling any pressure--I told her no--as I'm saying no, she checks me--I'm 9.5 centimeters! So, when I hear that, I remember saying, "It's too late for drugs now!" The doc agreed--LOL! At the end of the next hard contraction, I started feeling the urge to push. She tells me not to and gets her stuff on. With the next contraction, I'm pushing and out he comes in about 3-4 pushes! Little booger had his cord around his neck! No wonder his heartrate dropped! He arrived at 2:39--1 hour 56 minutes after my water was broken! His apgar scores were 8 at 1 minute and 9 at 5 minutes.

Our pastor was there when I had the contrax that sent all the nurses running so of course he left the room, but stayed outside in the hallway. Thursday was Maundy Thursday and of course there were services that night. But after all was over and we asked him back in the room, he told us that while standing in the hall, he was given a totally different sermon to preach that night. See, on the TV in the room beside me, they were watching the funeral service for one of two police officers who were killed in the line of duty the previous weekend. He said, as he heard the bagpipes playing for the man who lost his life, he could hear new life in my room. The perfect sermon for an Easter service. I haven't listened to the DVD of the sermon yet, but I'm sure I will cry!

Well, this concludes part 1. I'm gonna have to sit down and see if I can remember what all happened next!

Oh, and the boys absolutely love him! Nevan is fascinated with Pierson's hands! And they both want to hold him and be right up near him. Although, they've both been sick I try to keep them away as much as possible, but they don't understand. (Harrison went to the doc yesterday with a very bad ear infection!) I've got some really cute pics from yesterday when we got home, I'll get them off the camera afterwhile and post a few.
ETA his stats! He was 5 lbs 2 oz and 20 inches long. He was born April 5th at 2:39 pm. And he looks JUST like Nevan! It's like I gave birth to a twin two years later! Very scary!! LOL!

2 comments:

Kristy said...

first is he is so adorable!!! what a great story so far!

Nancy K. said...

Congrats again. :) Love the pics!

Slide