Saturday, April 14, 2007

Another visit to the hospital

But this was a good one today. Well, yesterday after Pierson's appt with our regular doc, he wanted to have his bilirubin checked since he looked a little yellow. This is nothing new to me--did it with both the other boys. But he also wanted me to see the lactation consultant again since Pierson only weighed 4 lbs 12 oz at his office. Well the LC was booked so I went in this morning to meet with her. Oh and they weighed him yesterday on the hospital scales and he weighed 5.03 lbs. (I'm willing to bet the hospital scales are right!) So I go in this morning with a hungry baby and we weigh him before he nursed and after to see how much he was getting from me. He got a little over an ounce from me. Well, the LC figured it up that he needed 13.3 oz of breastmilk a day for him to maintain his weight--so he needs to have more than that to gain. She figured that if he was getting the same amount of milk at each 3 hour feeding, he was coming up short--so her suggestion was to feed him every two hours for now. Exhausting--but worth it if it makes him gain weight and get stronger. The stronger he gets, the more he will be able to nurse and get more from me. She said that he could easily gain a pound in a week if I keep this feeding schedule up. I go back to meet with her again on Tuesday to see how we are progressing. Well, gotta go--20 minutes till feeding time! LOL!

No comments:

Slide